Follow by Email

Friday, February 10, 2012

Worldviews

This is the view outside my friend's apartment in Istanbul this morning. She lives there with her husband (an Instanbul CIA type) and teaches English preschool and practices karate and other mixed martial arts. It is difficult for her, as an "outsider" she (as a non-native Turk) has never met her husband's family and the relationship is  totally secretive. I have a new perspective on her life now. Today we ruled out pneumonia for Cannon, but both children tested positive for flu (nasal swab) so I went into CVS with a mask,  hat and sunglasses and felt like a bank robber. While I was registering Cannon for his Chest Xray the lady made me take off my hat and glasses (yeah, it is me) which made me feel like a criminal. Not unlike the feeling when I was returning from Miami recently where I had been teaching on the ground (vs. online like I normally do) and I had my hands and fingers swabbed for traces of explosive. Am I explosive? I hope not. I try very  hard to remain calm, cool, and collected. To the jerk on 49 N who would not let me over and then passed me twice, "calm down man!" we;ll all get there in the end.

Stardate 02102012 (what a number!)


3 comments:

  1. Anne, I love your blogs.
    My thought for you today..
    "faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. " (Heb. 11:1). Of course, not my words, but this is the faith I strive to have. Not easy, but possible.

    Talk to you soon...take care...Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kristen -- wonderful thought for life, not just for one day! I love having mantras and that is a great one. xo Anne

    ReplyDelete